Sunday, September 18, 2016

Bilingual Books-Yoruba/English


Youtube is another place I like to do research on diverse literature, television shows, and art.  I really enjoy the episodes of Bino and Fino. Bino and Fino are brother and sister who live in a city in Africa. The show educates children ages 3 to 6 about the African Culture, African History,and African Geography. I not only look for diverse books, but I also like to look for diverse television shows that are teaching children about other cultures.  The research that I did encouraged me to learn more about some languages that are spoken in Africa. I found out about a language called Yoruba.

 Yoruba is a tonal language that is spoken in West Africa, mainly Nigeria, which is were Bino and Fino's show is based from. Currently, thirty million people speak this pluricentric language.  Pluricentric means it is a language with many standard versions. So I was really excited when I found out that there are children books that have been written in Yoruba and English.  Bilingual Books are positive influences when it comes to studying a different language. I have taken French and Spanish classes before, not only are you learning the language, but you're learning about the culture too.  Down below I have a list of books that I would love for you to take a look at, if you find anymore please let me know! Please checkout the links and videos that are listed below also!

(This post contains affiliated links)

One of the Classics!





Even though, it is a coloring book I wanted to put it on here. :)






2 comments:

  1. Yoruba. That is new to me. Sounds like an interesting book and resource to use in a research about Africa or social studies or geography.
    Love the suggestions and videos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These resources would be great to use for social studies or geography! Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

      Delete