Tuesday, October 11, 2016

ABC, Adoption and Me-A Book Review


"Biology is the least of what makes someone a mother"-Oprah Winfrey


          As a teacher and a book blogger for children, I am always looking for books and other resources that can reach children, especially children from different cultural backgrounds. We must take into consideration that families can differ. The authors of ABC Adoption and Me, establish a clear depiction of different types of families through the subject of adoption wonderfully. I believe that more books should be written that discuss sensitive topics. 

        The topic of adoption can bring a lot of unanswered questions, I really do believe books like these can help. I like how ABC, Adoption and Me, has a section in the beginning that outlines how to use the book in different areas when discussing adoption. On the following page, the authors talk about Adoption-attunement Quotient (AQ). The quotient shows how adoption influences a child. The two pages can help the adoptee, the adoptive parent(s), and the birth parent(s). These pages can also help teachers, counselors, and individuals who work in Family Services on educating others about how adoption works.

        Currently, I have a child in my Pre-K Program who is in the process of being adopted and I would love to read this book to him or recommend this book to his adoptive parents. ABC, Adoption and Me, expresses the topic of adoption so well through colorful illustrations. I like how they use the alphabet to explain words that correlate with adoption. My favorite part in the book is the letter “T”. The letter “T” discusses about trust and truth when it comes to adoption and I believe those two words are so important when dealing with family. I will recommend this book to people who work directly with young children and teenagers.

*A copy of this book was given to me by the author.  Opinions in this review are my own.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for recognizing that adoption is an important topic for all families so that we can understand the diversity of our communities. With increased awareness, tolerance increases and we all benefit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an adoptive mom of a toddler I always look for books that address the complexity of adoption in a gentle, age-appropriate way. This book does exactly that. Thanks for the review! #diversekidlit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome! Thank you for stopping by and sharing your experiences, it means a lot!

      Delete