Saturday, September 1, 2018

Touching My Roots-Books About Black Hair for Children



I love my hair because it's a reflection of my soul. It's dense, it's kinky, it's soft, it's textured, it's difficult, it's easy and it's fun. That's why I love my hair. -Tracee Ellis Ross

Black hair……..is a sensitive subject. It is the first feature that individuals notice about a person. The stares good and bad come with this life, but the hair will only become bigger!Disclaimer: If it is weaved up, permed out, or whatever. I love black hair! Black Hair is Versatile! That is what makes it so beautiful! Being natural is not for the faint of heart! If it is not for you I understand ; )

As many of my readers know, I love to find books about diverse characters, different cultures, and ones with the best illustrations. However, I have to be honest, children books that deal with natural curly hair and the natural curly lifestyles were NOT my favorite at the beginning of this blogger journey. I felt like all books about hair were the same. Listen, there are so many books about this subject for children and I am not exaggerating. Books about coily, nappy, curly, kinky, puffy, wavy, hair made me roll my eyes……..literally. But the weird part, I was living a natural lifestyle myself, what was the problem with these individuals that were trying to teach young children to embrace their hair? But more importantly, what was my problem?



My Hair Story

One October day, almost six years ago, I started chopping and cutting. I just wanted something different, besides I would always go without a perm for an extensive amount of time. When I was finished, I was mortified, I had destroyed my crown. I cried and realized that I had made a big step and a big mistake. My already natural friends would say, "Don't worry it will grow back, it is just hair." I wasn't trying to hear that at all. I had imagine my hair looking a certain way, but I was wrong.


I became a product junkie and tried different techniques, but I wasn’t satisfied. I even watched all the YouTube videos, read Pinterest post, and searched for hair blogs. After trying everything under sun and around it, I started to remember how my hair looked before the perm, before my maternal grandmother would press it with the Golden Supreme Pressing Comb ( hot comb for short), and before my mother wash it, my hair was in its purest state, no chemicals. I remembered the detangle session and the coily twist afterwards. I would look at the hair of my parents and think which side did my kinky coils come from. I made the decision that I have a mixture of both. I got close and personally with those curls. I started to touch my curls and realized that my hair wasn't so bad and it started to be manageable. I started to wear protective styles and the more I looked up products that were good for my curl pattern, I started to embrace my natural.


Cutting my hair did not ruin it, cutting my hair help me embrace myself. I still have bad hair days and sometimes I want to cut it all off. I enjoy kinks, braids, and I love my silk presses. I am tired on wash days and sometimes I just put it in a ball or a puff and go on with my day. But the journey has been fun! It has taught me patience.








So yes, I have found out how to enjoy those hair books that I once thought were so “extra”. I understand that a young girl or boy does not have to wait until they are older to know how beautiful their hair is in its natural state. They can start now with these books!


I want to thank my friend for planting this idea in me. She started “touching her roots” and I am so glad she decided to tell me about it.

Please check out some of my favorite books about hair below and around this blog!


Like I said before it is a lot of books about this topic, but these are some of my favorites. If you know about anymore please comment below or tell me about some.





























































































1 comment:

  1. Pardon me for stopping by to share a little info about the call for Cybils judges with you....

    Are you a reader who loves children's and young adult books? This call is for you. We need some wonderful book bloggers who are interested in reading a lot of children's or young adult books, reviewing them, and choosing the best of the best for the 2018 Cybils Awards.

    We’d love it if you could pass on the word. Applications are open through September 9th.

    Apply today! https://goo.gl/HtNB7p

    Take care,
    Deb Nance
    Readerbuzz
    Cybils Fiction Picture Book and Board Book Chair
    Https://readerbuzz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete